Tuesday, August 28, 2012

September is Arts Month in San Diego

Holy freakin pelicans, all KINDS of things will be happening in September in San Diego! I'm not even there yet and I'm excited about all the extra-curricular opps! In a happy coincidence for me, September is officially San Diego's Arts Month, which means a whole smorgasboard of wonderful events. Can't keep track of them all, so I put the website in my blogroll for reference all month. Looks like there are some fine exhibitions, a couple of weekend artwalks, stellar performances, and a 3-day contemporary art fair. I'm hoping to squeeze as many as I can into my free time.

The first few days of September are also the last few days of the Washed Ashore art exhibit at the Living Coast Discovery Center (formerly known as the Chula Vista Nature Center). I saw the exhibition when I was in San Diego in July: an array of sculptures employing different types of marine debris as building materials. They have an educational impact as well as aesthetic charm. I wouldn't have guessed styrofoam could be such a beautiful material. As trash it's repulsive, but as an art medium representing the death of coral reefs, it's perfect, even poignant.



The last weekend in September will bring the Cabrillo Festival to Point Loma. September is also when Cabrillo will be holding their tidepool educational conference. (More about that in a later post.)


While I'm away from home I'll be getting my live music fix at the San Diego Blues Festival and then the Adams Ave Street Fair. (I'll have to do some juggling to fit them in around Cabrillo events, but I just can't pass them up!) And then October kicks off the first weekend with Mudfest 2012, San Diego's day of clay fun in Balboa Park.  

It's going to be a great month; a lot to look forward to!

Now back to packing...exactly how am I going to fit all this into the car?

No comments:

Post a Comment